The Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle has announced the winners and special awards for excellence in Los Angeles and Orange County theater for the year 2012.
The 44th Annual Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle Awards ceremony took place Monday, March 18, 2012 at The Los Angeles Theatre Center in Downtown Los Angeles, and was hosted by French Stewart.
The award recipients for the 2012 Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle Awards are as follows:
- “Justin Love”
- “War Horse”
- “The Book of Mormon”
McCulloh Award for Revival:
- “Waiting for Godot”
- Michael Arabian, “Waiting for Godot”
- Shirley Jo Finney, “In the Red and Brown Water”
- Simon Levy, “Cyrano”
- Danai Gurira, “The Convert”
- Stephen Sachs, “Cyrano”
- Gregory Nabours, “The Color Purple”;
- Stephen Oremus, “The Book of Mormon.”
- Trey Parker, Matt Stone and Robert Lopez, “The Book of Mormon”;
- Lori Scarlett and David Manning, “Justin Love”’;
- Jon Kaplan & Al Kaplan, “Silence! The Musical.”
- Christopher Gattelli, “Silence! The Musical”; Bill T. Jones, “Fela!”
- Troy Kotsur, “Cyrano”
- Alan Mandell, “Waiting for Godot.”
- Christine Lakin, “Silence! The Musical”
- Larry Bates,“Jitney”
- Michael A. Newcomer, “The Bungler.”
- Ellis E. Williams, “Jitney”
- John Hurt, “Krapp’s Last Tape.”
- “In the Red and Brown Water”
- “The New Electric Ballroom”
- “The Savannah Disputation”
- “Waiting for Godot”
- John Iacovelli, “Waiting for Godot.”
- Paule Constable and Karen Spahn, “War Horse.”
- Ellen McCartney, “The Treatment”; Leah Piehl, “Intimate Apparel”
- Ben Williams, “Gatz”
- Anthony Backman and Ben Rock, “Stoneface: The Rise and Fall and Rise of Buster Keaton”
- Adrian Kohler with Basil Jones for Handspring Puppet Theatre, in recognition of the design, fabrication, and direction of the puppets of War Horse at the Ahmanson Theatre.
- David McCormick and Kelly Todd for their fight direction of West Side Story at the Chance Theatre in Anaheim.In addition, a special plaque will be awarded to Center Theatre Group for an excellent season.
The 2012 special award recipients are as follows:
Margaret Harford Award for sustained excellence: Celebration Theatre.
Polly Warfield Award for an outstanding season in a small- to mid-sized theatre: The Fountain Theatre.
Joel Hirschhorn Award for outstanding achievement in musical theatre: David O.
Bob Z Award for career achievement in set design: Stephen Gifford.
The Ted Schmitt Award for the world premiere of an outstanding new play will be presented to Evelina Fernández for A Mexican Trilogy, whose world premiere took place at the awards venue, the Los Angeles Theatre Center. The award is accompanied by an offer to publish from Samuel French, Inc.
Milton Katselas Award for career or special achievement in direction: Elina de Santos.
For an Excellent Season: Center Theatre Group.
The Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle was founded in 1969. It is dedicated to excellence in theatrical criticism, and to the encouragement and improvement of theatre in Greater Los Angeles.