The Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle announced the recipients of its 51st annual awards for distinguished achievement in theatre today, Tuesday, April 28, 2020.
There were two recipients of the 2019 Production award: Witch (Geffen Playhouse) and Indecent (Center Theatre Group and Huntington Theatre Company). Awards in 17 other categories celebrated a wide range of Los Angeles theatre, with 18 different productions taking home honors. Geffen Playhouse’s Witch took home the most awards for a single production, with seven. Geffen Playhouse also received the most awards, with three of its productions winning a combined 10 trophies.
Center Theatre Group received a combined nine awards with three of its productions, including Deirdre O’Connell for Solo Performance in Dana H., Bill Sims Jr. for Musical Score for August Wilson’s Jitney and the aforementioned Indecent for Production, Ensemble, Writing and Direction.
The complete list of award recipients is as follows:
- Indecent, produced by Center Theatre Group and Huntington Theatre Company
- Witch, produced by Geffen Playhouse
- The Caucasian Chalk Circle, produced by Antaeus Theatre Company
- Two Trains Running, produced by Sophina Brown
- Grant Chang, The Great Leap, Pasadena Playhouse
- Steve Hofvendahl, The Caucasian Chalk Circle, Antaeus Theatre Company
- Evan Jonigkeit, Witch, Geffen Playhouse
- Michael Manuel, Frankenstein, A Noise Within
- Rob Nagle, The Judas Kiss, Boston Court Pasadena
- Maura Tierney, Witch, Geffen Playhouse
- Nija Okoro, Two Trains Running, Matrix Theatre
- Adolphus Ward, Two Trains Running, Matrix Theatre
- Indecent, Center Theatre Group/Ahmanson Theatre
- The Wolves, Echo Theater Company
- Witch, Geffen Playhouse
- Deirdre O’Connell, Dana H., Center Theatre Group/Kirk Douglas Theatre
- Sarah DeLappe, The Wolves, Echo Theater Company
- Jen Silverman, Witch, Geffen Playhouse
- Paula Vogel, Indecent, Center Theatre Group/Ahmanson Theatre
- Lucas Hnath, Dana H., Center Theatre Group/Kirk Douglas Theatre
- Mark Heard, Pat Terry, Randy VanWarmer, Tim Alderson, Salvage, Lounge Theatre
- Bill Sims Jr, August Wilson’s Jitney, Center Theatre Group/Mark Taper Forum
- Anthony Lucca, Bronco Billy – The Musical, Skylight Theatre
- Stephan Terry, Salvage, Lounge Theatre
- Edgar Godineaux and Jared Grimes, Lights Out: Nat “King” Cole, Geffen Playhouse
- Marti Lyons, Witch, Geffen Playhouse
- Stephanie Shroyer, The Caucasian Chalk Circle, Antaeus Theatre Company
- Rebecca Taichman, Indecent, Center Theatre Group/Ahmanson Theatre
- John Lee Beatty, Key Largo, Geffen Playhouse
- Peter Kaczorowski, Key Largo, Geffen Playhouse
- Jared A. Sayeg, Ragtime, Pasadena Playhouse
- Jenny Foldenauer, Argonautika, A Noise Within
- Danae Iris McQueen, Witch, Geffen Playhouse
- Mikhail Fiksel, Dana H., Center Theatre Group/Kirk Douglas Theatre
- Yee Eun Nam, The Mother of Henry, Latino Theater Company
- Aaron Rhyne, Anastasia, Pantages Theatre
- Steve Cuiffo, Illusions and Lip Sync, Dana H., Center Theatre Group/Kirk Douglas Theatre
The following special award winners were previously announced:
The GORDON DAVIDSON Award for distinguished contribution to the Los Angeles theatrical community: Ojai Playwrights Conference.
The MARGARET HARFORD Award for sustained excellence in theatre:
The Fountain Theatre.
The POLLY WARFIELD Award for an excellent season in a small to mid-size theatre: A Noise Within.
The JOEL HIRSCHHORN Award for distinguished achievement in musical theatre: Celebration Theatre.
The TED SCHMITT Award for the world premiere of an outstanding new play:
The Mother of Henry, written by Evelina Fernández, produced by the Latino Theater Company.
The MILTON KATSELAS Award for distinguished achievement in direction:
The KINETIC LIGHTING Award for distinguished achievement in theatrical design: Hana S. Kim, Projection and Set Designer.
The Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle was founded in 1969. It is dedicated to excellence in theatrical criticism, and to the encouragement and improvement of theatre in Greater Los Angeles. The 2019 membership consisted of:
Frances Baum Nicholson, Southern California News Group, Stage Struck Review
Katie Buenneke, Stage Raw, Theater Diges
Erin Conley, On Stage & Screen
Ellen Dostal, BroadwayWorld, Musicals in LA
Lovell Estell III, Stage Raw, ArtsInLA.com
Margaret Gray, Los Angeles Times
Hoyt Hilsman, Huffington Post
Deborah Klugman, Stage Raw
Harker Jones, BroadwayWorld, ArtsInLA.com
Jenny Lower Beckman, Stage Raw
Dany Margolies, ArtsInLA.com, Southern California News Group
Myron Meisel, Stage Raw
Terry Morgan, Stage Raw, TalkinBroadway.com
Steven Leigh Morris, Stage Raw
Melinda Schupmann, Showmag.com, ArtsInLA.com
Jonas Schwartz-Owen, Theatermania.com, BroadwayWorld, ArtsInLA.com
Don Shirley, LA Observed
Les Spindle, EDGE LA
Rob Stevens, haineshisway.com